Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Memory Lane

There are memories that are so ingrained in me that when I recall them I feel transported; I am in another place and time surrounded by sights, sounds, and smells of a particular memory. If only for a moment, I am back to an age of innocence. Sometimes these memories are triggered and I wish I could hold on to them for just a little longer, but they are always fleeting, leaving me wanting more. I suppose instead I should just be grateful that I had the kind of childhood that affords me these happy memories.
  • Watching Sonny and Cher with my dad in our sunken living room, especially in the summertime when he would sprinkle pepper on his cantaloupe and share it with me.
  • Watching my mom put on her make up before work at her light up makeup mirror.  It was a glamorous gold mirror with light bulbs that got so hot they would blister your finger if you touched them.
  • A yellow canopy bed.
  • Mom in her red velour, bell bottom, lounge suit.  The one with the zip up front and the black and gold trim.
  • Mom's Oscar De La Renta 
  • Dad's Aramis and Consort Hairspray
  • Saying "love your flaps" when dad's hair (when he had it) would flip up around his cap.
  • Admiring my mother's dainty hands while she would sew.
  • Watching her unfold a new pattern for her next project.
  • Trips to Silver Dollar City, the one time a year we would eat at Denny's.  Mom always had the French Dip and she always gave me a bite.
  • Whatchamacallits and Dr. Pepper from the 7-11 when I would go to work with dad after school.
  • Donuts at Lyin' Jacks
  • Hearing my Mam-ma tell the same stories over again and acting like I was hearing it for the first time.
  • Going on walks with my Paw Paw.  He could spot a penny a mile away...and he would walk a mile out of his way to pick it up.
  • Falling asleep on the couch at my grandparents to the sounds of Barney Miller or Hawaii 5-0.
  • My little sister chasing me with frogs while I cried like a baby.
  • My mom and I wearing matching brown velvet pants while going on a date with dad...Godfather's Pizza and Superman at the movies.
I could go on and on...
you may feel like I have!

No comments: