Sunday, March 6, 2011

The Best Thing I Ever Ate...this week

In this week's recipe, the old adage, "if it ain't broke, don't fix it", is fitting.  I just love stuffed peppers and even as a kid, they were a favorite.  My mom always used this recipe from the old Better Homes and Gardens Cookbook.  You know the one, the infamous red and white checked book.

Stuffed Green Peppers
4-6 green peppers
1 pound ground beef
1 onion chopped
16 oz. diced tomatoes
1/2 c. rice, uncooked
1 tsp worcestershire sauce
1/2 c. water
5-6 slices American cheese

Cut tops off peppers and remove seeds. Cook in boiling salted water about 5 minutes. Drain and set aside. Brown meat and onion.  Add tomatoes, rice, water, and worcestershire sauce.  Bring to a boil, reduce heat, cover and simmer about 15 minutes, or until rice is done.  Stir in cheese.  Stuff peppers with meat mixture.  Bake at 350 for 20-25 minutes.

I have tried other recipes but this is the one I always come back to.  The recipe is great as is, but over the years I have made a few small tweaks.

I like to use red and yellow peppers too, but use whatever you like.  I actually cut the pepper's in half rather than just cut the tops off; I cut it in half from the top, not through the middle.  I use brown rice instead of white and I pour a 28 oz. can of tomato sauce over the top before baking. 
As a kid we always had Cream Style Corn with these. I don't usually do that, but for old times sake I did tonight.  Not bad, not bad at all!


No comments: