Monday, February 21, 2011

Forever Friends

We celebrated my "oldest" friend's 40th birthday this weekend.  I met Caron when we were just 5 years old.  We had just moved into our new house and Caron and her mom were on a walk.  Caron's mom saw me playing outside and sent Caron over to introduce herself.  Here is how it went...

Caron: Hi, I'm Caron.  What's your name?
Me: Gretchen
Caron: HEY, that's my dog's name!
Me: turns and runs into the house crying

In hindsight, she really was just breaking me in.  Since that day, I have met more than a handful of people with dogs named Gretchen...almost always German Shepherds.  
Of course Caron's mom was mortified.  She rang the bell and explained to my mom what had happened.  I obviously got over it because we have been friend's ever since!  Her house was directly behind mine, so we walked around the block (or hopped the fence when we were feeling lazy) countless times over the years. I can't tell you how many memories we have made ( well, I could tell you, but then I'd have to kill you).   

I asked Hallie if she would paint something for Caron's birthday gift.  We went to Hobby Lobby to pick up supplies and this is what she came up with.  I loved it so much and just couldn't wait to give it to her.  Now that she has it, I can share it with all of you. 
Because my awesome phone photograph makes the words hard to read, inside the heart it says
 "around the corner and over the fence"
 Thanks sis, for making it for me. 
Thanks Caron, for being my Forever Friend!

Here's to 40 more. 
Hey, won't it be fun to find an age appropriate, yet still fabulous, outfit for that party!

No comments: