Thursday, February 24, 2011

C25K

I have hopped on the C25K bandwagon.  Have you all heard of this?  It's a training program that is supposed to take you from being a Couch Potato 2 running a 5K in 9 weeks.  I wouldn't necessarily call myself a couch potato, but I would absolutely not ever call myself a runner.

Back in the fall I quit my swanky gym due to the fact that swanky gyms come with swanky gym monthly fees.   I just wasn't going enough to justify said fees.  I hated going and when I wasn't going I felt guilty.  So, to alleviate the guilt, I quit.  Guilt gone. Pounds not.  I have always secretly longed to be a runner.  The convenience of walking, I mean, running out the door and your workout has begun!  Don't even get me started on runner's bodies...such long, lean muscles & tight, taut tummies.  I had heard from some of my friends that C25K was totally do-able.  I asked around and never heard any negative comments about it. So, I threw on my running shoes and off I went.  The program is a 9 week program with 3 runs per week.  After completing the first week, I really liked it.  I had some knee pain and my hips and lower back ached, but I hadn't run before and I just figured that was normal.  Well, folks, it's not.  I went into the second week and just ran through the pain.  Instead of getting better, things got worse.  By the third week I could barely walk, much less run. 

I never had any interest in chiropractic care, but I needed relief.  I went in thinking he would "adjust" me and I would be as good as new.  I ended up getting some scans done and was pretty enlightened as to why I had so much pain.  I will spare you the details other than to say I was very out of alignment and had an exorbitant amount of muscle tension all through my back, neck, and shoulders.  So, not only was I not a runner; I was darn near a full fledged gimp!  I began getting three treatments per week and after about 6 weeks, I was getting two per week. Now, after 4 months, I  feel ready to run again. 

I took suggestions from my friend Deanna about shoes.  She has had bad knees and highly recommended Nike Lunarglides.  I'm not saying that these are the perfect running shoes for everyone, but for me and my wonky gait, these are money!!! Between the right shoes and being in proper alignment I am amazed at what I can do without pain. I realize now I had been living with knee pain, that for the most part, was really more of a nuisance than actually painful during normal activity. But, I began to also realize how many things I couldn't or wouldn't do because of it.  If I did anything to strain that knee, it would hurt for days. I learned to avoid activity that I knew would irritate it. 

So, with my new shoes and a group of friends that I have recruited, I am again into week 3.  I have virtually no pain and am hopeful that in 6 more weeks I will be a runner!  Long, lean muscles & tight, taut tummy?  Not sure.  Running a 5K this Spring?  Very possible.  If for no other reason than beer at the end and a free t-shirt I will feel so accomplished.

So peeps, download the C25K App and run with me.  Even if you think you would only run if someone was chasing you.


No comments: