Sunday, February 20, 2011

The Best Thing I Ever Ate...this week

 What's so special about spaghetti? The thing that's special here is; get ready for it...
IT'S NOT SPAGHETTI!
While this looks like a good old carb loaded spaghetti dinner, it's so not. I recently read an article on pasta swaps, and this one sounded so crazy I just had to try it. 

The "noodles" are actually this stuff:
BROCCOLI SLAW

Have you EVER?! 
  Well, I haven't!
But, let me tell you, I will do it again (and again, and again...)

To be honest, when I started to make this I thought it was going to be a disaster.  I was following this recipe and about 5 minutes in I actually told the Hubs he might be making a run to pick up a pizza.  I decided to stick with it and I made a few tweaks to make it my own.  We both really liked it and decided we would be having this often. If you want to try it, follow the basic recipe and I'll share my "tweaks".
  • I found that the slaw needed to cook about twice as long as what the recipe suggested.  I did double the recipe so maybe my skillet was too full.  However, I would say in this case it would be better to err on the side of overcooked vs. undercooked.  Unlike real pasta, al dente is not your friend here. 
  • I used a 28 oz. can of crushed tomatoes for 2 bags of slaw mix.
  • I didn't have onion powder, so I left it out.
  • I added about 1 tsp. garlic powder and 2 T Italian Seasoning
  • I also added more crushed red pepper flakes because we like things spicy over here.
  • Once I added all the ingredients to the skillet and mixed them well, I reduced the heat and put a lid on it.  I let it cook for about 5 more minutes to insure the slaw was soft.
  • I added about 1/2 c. shredded Italian Blend cheese after it was done cooking
I treated this just like a regular spaghetti dinner and served it with a salad and bread...bonus being that I didn't feel guilty about eating the bread since my spaghetti was, well, NOT spaghetti!

I think the next time I make this I may throw in some chicken to add a little protein to the meal.  I also considered keeping it totally veggie and throwing in some Boca Italian "sausage" crumbles.  The possibilities are endless!  I am willing to bet that you can pass this off on your families. My kids weren't home so they didn't try it but I think they would have eaten it (if I didn't TELL them what it was), and Hubs is not really adventurous in the vegetable department.  Let me know if you try it, and especially if you are able to SNEAK it by your own picky eaters.   


No comments: