Thursday, April 7, 2011

What's in the Fridge?

We've covered the pantry, here's the fridge list.  Again, it's not all inclusive, but it works.  If you keep these items on hand, you are prepared for many a recipe.
  • milk, even if you NEVER drink the stuff.
  • eggs
  • sharp cheddar, I buy a block and grate it myself, but you can do it however you want.
  • American "cheese" (because you know us Americans don't make real cheese)
  • butter, of the real variety.  I buy salted and use it in everything (even when a recipe calls for unsalted)...so sue me.
  • sour cream OR plain yogurt, they are interchangeable.
  • salsa
  • hot sauce of some kind, my favorite is Frank's Red Hot because it has great flavor but not too much heat.
  • condiments; mustard, mayo, ketchup...you know, the basics.  I like a variety of mustards but I would say at the very least get some yellow mustard and a good Dijon or spicy brown.
  • worcestershire sauce
  • soy sauce
And since most produce falls into the "store in the fridge" category, here goes:
  • onion, I always keep white ones.
  • celery
  • bell peppers; green are the most affordable
  • green onions
  • carrots
  • citrus: lemons, limes, and oranges, for the juice and the zest
  • jalapeno peppers, if you like things spicy.  You really can't believe what a little fresh jalapeno will do to take your dish to the next level.
  • Fresh herbs: cilantro and flat leaf parsley (wash, wrap in paper towel and store in a ziploc); voila, fresh herbs at the ready.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Hi Getchen, I love your blog! I'm a Tulsa blogger and would love for you to stop by and check out my blog at http://veganinthehouse.com
Thanks,
Nicole