Tuesday, April 5, 2011

Pantry Provisions

I will preface this post with the fact that I believe my husband proposed to me based on the fact that I kept a well stocked pantry.  The first time he opened up my pantry when we were dating his eyes lit up like firecrackers, like seriously, the dude was stoked.  I have been asked several times how I always seem to have ingredients on hand and don't have to run to the store every time I want to try a new recipe.  Well kids, it's all in the way you stock your pantry.  This is a list of things that I think every cook should have, novice and beyond, in their pantry. 
  • pasta; a bite size variety like elbow or bow tie and a long variety like spaghetti or fettuccine
  • rice; long grain white rice and a brown rice.  I also keep brown Minute Rice for quick week night dinners.
  • soy sauce
  • vinegar; balsamic and cider
  •  fat free condensed milk, because it can make a creamy sauce richer without adding too much fat
  • bread crumbs
  • canola oil
  • olive oil
  • crushed tomatoes
  • diced tomatoes
  • broth, chicken and beef
  • all purpose flour
  • sugar; powdered, granulated, and brown
  • sandwich bread
  • tortillas; I keep both corn and flour
  • beans; I always have chickpeas, black beans, and dark red kidney beans in a can
  • tuna, if you are so inclined
If you keep these essentials on hand, you will be able to prepare any number of meals without having to run to the store.  These are items that I never let myself run out of.  Of course a well stocked fridge also helps.  Come back later this week for that list.

No comments: