Monday, April 25, 2011

Herb-ivore

I love fresh herbs.  I especially love growing my own.  The problem is I have a black thumb when it comes to gardening.  Last year, I planted several of my favorites and they literally all died within a few weeks.  Being able to kill basil and mint takes an especially black thumb, I do believe.  This year,  I am giving it another go.  We've got basil, mint, flat leaf parsley, rosemary, and something new...a stevia plant.  Stevia is a natural sweetener and we have been using a lot of it since we've been dieting. It comes in liquid and in packets like Splenda.  The liquid comes in flavors too, we have been putting the vanilla cream stevia drops on sliced strawberries.  The vanilla with the strawberries is reminiscent of strawberries with angel food cake. I am thinking I can use the stevia leaves to make a natural simple syrup, maybe I'll throw some mint in there too. Pretty lofty goals for a girl who killed last years crop so soon, huh?

I also ran across these boxwood basil plants.  I thought they were so cute I had to bring them home with me.  Are these a  new variety or am I just way behind?  They are supposed to grow into little mounds of basil with smaller leaves than the regular basil plants.  So let's all do a little dance to the garden gods and hope that my little herb garden makes it. It'll save me a fortune!
baby boxwood basil plants

No comments: