Sunday, May 15, 2011

Crockpot Cooking...it's not just for Winter

I always equate crock pot cooking with cold winter days.  I recently got a new crock pot and wanted to try it out, even thought we are well into May and winter is long gone (although it hasn't felt like it around here).  I went for a Mexican Chicken recipe that I thought would make a great chicken taco salad.  We loved this recipe and I even turned the leftovers into a soup.  I just added a can of chicken broth and a little more of each of the spices, and voila, a whole different meal for lunch today. 

 Put 1 bag of boneless skinless chicken breasts in crock pot (mine were frozen when I added them)
 Slice an onion and chop up a jalapeno and put it on top of the chicken.
  
I used red onion because that's what I had on hand.


   
Mix the Rotel tomatoes with 1 T each of Cumin, Chili Powder, and Oregano. Add 3 cloves of chopped garlic and salt and pepper to taste.

 Pour mixture over chicken.

Cook on low 6-8 hours. 
If you aren't using frozen chicken you could probably be ready to eat in closer to 4 hours.

Like I said earlier, we used this for chicken taco salads, but you could do wraps or chicken nachos or whatever floats your boat.  I'm thinking I may be using my crock pot more frequently...even through the summer months. The idea of spending a day of fun in the sun and coming home to dinner sounds fabulous!

No comments: