Monday, May 23, 2011

Bakin' Bacon

I hate the mess of frying bacon.  I read about doing it in the oven a while back, but I didn't think that sounded like a very good idea.  Yesterday I needed to cook 3 pounds of bacon and the thought of the big, greasy mess was overwhelming.  I went in search of just how you go about bakin' bacon. Let me tell you, it was super easy and the bacon was great.  I may never go back to pan frying again.  Here's how I did it:
  • Preheat oven to 400
  • Line a shallow baking sheet with foil (to keep clean up easy)
  • Lay bacon strips on pan without over crowding. 
  • Bake for 20-30 minutes depending on thickness of bacon.
  • Remove from oven and put bacon on paper towels to drain.
My bacon was thick cut and it took closer to 30 minutes. Just start watching it at about the 20 minute mark and see how it looks.  If you are feeling fancy, sprinkle brown sugar over the bacon before you bake it...  That's some good stuff!  After I was finished with all 3 batches of bacon, I left the pan to cool completely so the bacon grease would solidify.  That way, I could just lift out the foil without the risk of getting the bacon grease everywhere.  I highly recommend this method, give it a try!  You know BLT season is here and I am planning to pre-cook a bunch of bacon to have on hand for my favorite summer sammy!

No comments: