Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Too Pretty to Eat...almost


When I was little, my Mam-ma used to "put up" her own beets. They were pickled, and oh so delish. I used to eat them and eat them until one Thanksgiving I literally made myself sick on them. I didn't touch a beet for years after that. In the last year or so I have take to eating pickled beet slices in a can. I throw them in salads mostly, but have been known to just eat a few straight from the can. I ran across this recipe and had to give it a try. Fresh beets are pretty intimidating looking, they are dirty and have these super long leafy fraunds on them. The recipe made it look so simple to do that I thought I would give it a shot. The result: SO FREAKING AMAZING! The color was so unbelievable, like the perfect pink stain (can I wear it on my cheeks?) The balsamic and feta perfectly complimented the earthy sweetness of the beets. If you think you don't like beets, you need to try these.

No comments: