Monday, January 3, 2011

Take Time to Save Time

I work at a job where there is no time to go out to lunch. If there were time, there really aren't any great options close by. I pack my lunch everyday for a couple of reasons. I genuinely enjoy eating healthy, but delicious, food. Also, I can't eat fast foods and junk regularly because I have reached the fun age where I gain weight very easily. I grocery shop weekly and always have a plan for meals I can prepare that will allow for left overs. I don't really love sandwiches unless I am going to eat them right away. People have definitely laughed at my sandwich packing when I have gone that route. I pretty much wrap or store each component, condiments included, separately. It's quite a hassle for a simple sammy. Why not just bring a Lean Cuisine or Smart Ones? Well, mama needs to feel full. Have you seen the portions of those meals? Certain ones I can bulk up with fresh spinach or a salad on the side, but I much prefer fresh food that I prepare myself. I am not a morning person so I don't have tons of time in the mornings. However, my goal right now is to spend some time one day a week (usually Sunday) to do some prep and packing. I have a fridge at work that I can store things in so I can have healthier meals and spend lots less time in the mornings throwing things into my bag. That said, I just spent about an hour putting together some things and packing them up for the rest of the week. Here's a rundown of what I did:

chopped romaine lettuce and put in a Ziploc
made tuna salad
boiled some eggs
cut up carrots
made hummus
washed grape tomatoes
made a balsamic vinaigrette

Now, I can eat salads, snack on hummus, have tuna salad on tomatoes, grab a boiled egg etc...I'm hoping this new plan keeps me eating healthy all week with no excuses.

1 comment:

Gina said...

I didn't know you had a blog! Love it!