Sunday, August 21, 2011

Back To School

Yes, it's that time again.  I start each new school year with mixed emotions.  I'm really never ready to go back to work, but once I'm back at it I start to remember why I chose teaching as a profession.  It's not always easy, and it certainly isn't glamorous, but I can make a difference every day.  My principal sent this letter to the entire staff through email and it really spoke to me. It's written by author Lester Laminack, a retired educator.  I thought I would share it with you guys...

Dear teachers

take a moment as this new year begins

remember that each child coming our way

bleeds when he is cut

bruises when he falls

giggles when he is tickled

sighs when he is hugged

laughs when he hears a joke

No matter which bus he rides

or which neighborhood he comes from

or what skin he arrives in

he is human

he is you

he is me

we all are one

teach him as you would your own

expect him to be successful

be patient with his development

be kind in your actions

be supportive with your comments

each child coming our way

will mirror the best we have to offer

Dear teachers

I wish you a year of insight,

Lester Laminack

No comments: