Wednesday, January 25, 2012

Gooey Butter Cake, the Peanut Butter Version

On a lazy Sunday afternoon, my sweet girl asked me to make something sweet.  I hadn't been to the store and I didn't plan to leave the house.  I knew I had a yellow cake mix in the pantry and I tried to pass that off on her.  She wasn't having it.  Furthermore, she became more specific with her demands and said she wanted "something peanut butter", of which I had plenty.  Hmmmm, yellow cake mix and peanut butter.  What to do? Over the holidays I made a Pumpkin Gooey Butter Cake, recipe courtesy of Paula Deen.  SIDEBAR: Speaking of Paula, leave her alone about her diabetes! She really doesn't know you and therefore doesn't owe you her health records.  Ok, off my soapbox.  I found this Peanut Butter version of the Gooey cake and it did not disappoint.  It was even better served cold the next day!  

For the crust:
1 box of yellow cake mix *the PB version called for a chocolate cake mix but I used yellow
1 egg
1 stick (1/2 cup) of butter, melted
*the recipe did not call for it, but I added about a 1/4 of peanut butter here too.

For the Filling:
1 (8 ounce) package cream cheese, softened
3 eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 pound box of confectioners sugar
1 stick (1/2 cup) of butter, melted
1 cup of creamy peanut butter

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
Spray a 13x9x2-inch glass baking dish with Non-Stick cooking spray.

In a large mixing bowl, mix together the cake mix, the egg, and the melted butter. Pat the dough down into the bottom of the glass baking dish. Set aside.

In the same bowl, mix together softened cream cheese until smooth. Add the eggs and vanilla. Mix in the confectioners sugar. Beat well and then slowly add the butter until all ingredients are well mixed. Pour onto crust and bake for 40 to 50 minutes.

When you go to take it out of the oven, it will seem awfully "gooey" in the center but it will set up as it cools.

As I mentioned, if you really want to send this over the top, put it in the fridge over night.  You will thank me.





No comments: