Saturday, March 24, 2012

The Golden Birthday

My boy had his "Golden Birthday" this month.  Have you all heard of this?  I had never heard of it until recently.  It's when you turn the age of the date of your birthday.  Drew turned 20 on the 20th!  I just cannot believe my baby boy is twenty.  I think that's a hard age.  You are and adult, but really, you're not.  Does that make sense?  The law says you are, and you really think you are, but there are just so many things that you don't know; things that you don't even know you don't know.  But it's also such a unique time in your life when you literally have your whole life ahead of you.  I mean, we all have our whole lives ahead of us, but I mean at 20, there are just so many possibilities.  So many in fact, that I think it's sometimes scary for kids at that age, it's hard to commit to "what do I want to do for the rest of my life?" It's hard for my 20 year old boy to understand that he really is still just a boy.  It's hard for me to understand that he really is becoming a man.  I guess though, he will always be "my boy", no matter how old he is...whether he likes it or not. 
And yes, that hat does say DEATHWISH.  Really?  While you are getting ready to make a wish for your birthday?  No.  Just no.  I even told him not to wear it.  Both he and my daughter made fun of me and told me said hat is very cool. She acutally bought him the hat for his birthday. As evidenced by the photo, you can see  the problem with this 20 year old thing is that he doesn't want to mind his momma anymore.   I love you so much Brother!

No comments: