Friday, December 2, 2011

'Tis the Season

Although it's just now beginning to feel like Christmas weather wise, it's been looking a lot like Christmas around here for awhile.  We put our tree up the week of Thanksgiving because we went on our little getaway after Turkey Day and I wanted to come home to the house already decorated.  I haven't snapped any pictures of our decor yet because the past week has been a whirlwind.  I will get some this weekend and share them with you next week.  I'm sure you will be on pins and needles until then.  I have been busy baking every night this week.  I do rum cakes for the holidays and have had several orders come in.  I am also working with a local winery and selling some cakes there, so needless to say, I feel like I could bake a rum cake in my sleep at this point. 

This weekend is Bedlam...GO SOONERS and we get to watch the game with some of our very favorite people.  I'm still deciding what snacks to make for game day.  I know I will do a cheese ball, there's just something about this time of year that makes me want a good ol' cheeseball.  My family has been using the same recipe for as far back as I can remember.  If ever I mess with the original recipe, I regret it.  I recently messed with it.  I immediately regretted it.  Here's the recipe, don't mess with it.

 "Ancient Chinese Secret" Cheese Ball
2 cups shredded cheddar cheese (I use the sharpest I can find)
8 oz. block of cream cheese (dang, that stuff has gone up in price!)
1 cup chopped pecans
garlic powder to taste (we like things garlic-y, so don't try to kiss me while I'm eating this)
chili powder (sound weird, I know, but remember, I said DON'T MESS WITH IT, trust)
Blend the cheeses, nuts, and garlic well.  Your hands are your friends here.  Just get in there and squish it all together.  Here's where it gets fun, you can make it into a ball shape or roll it into a log shape.  Once you decide and it's all shaped up, pour some chili powder onto some waxed paper and roll the cheese ball in it.  This is best if you make it the day before.  We always serve it with Wheat Thins at my house, if you don't, then essentially you are "messing with it".

BTW, that's not the real name of the recipe.  There isn't one.  I just made that up.  If you didn't grow up in the 70's you may have no idea where that came from.  Sorry.  In this instance, you may mess with the recipe by renaming it anything you would like.
For your viewing pleasure:

No comments: