Saturday, October 22, 2011

Can You Keep a Secret

I thought I'd share the secret to a pretty fabulous homemade ice cream cake.  This cake is a big hit around here, it was even my daughter's request for her 17th birthday cake this week.  I actually made this recipe for the first time on a whim, I needed a quick dessert I could throw together and forget about.  I was hosting a luncheon for some teacher friends and my oven was occupied baking the yummy quiche.  The dessert was such a hit and all the girls were raving about it. I didn't tell them right away what my secret was, but I finally spilled the beans.  The secret to an easy,  yet impressive ice cream cake is...
ice cream sandwiches. 
Building this cake is like playing with bricks and mortar in Willy Wonka's Chocolate Factory.  You just layer the ice cream sandwiches with the fudge filling, then cover the whole thing in Cool Whip.
That fudge "mortar" is to die for.
I build the cake on 2 pieces of foil that I overlap. Wrap that foil loosely up around the sides and stick it in the freezer.
Doesn't look like anything special, huh?  Just trust me.  When you slice into it the layers are so pretty.    The only change to the original recipe that I made is I buy a larger container of Cool Whip, I like the thicker "frosting" on the outside.  I'm not even a huge Cool Whip fan, but I do like it on this dessert.  You could fancy it up a bit with sprinkles or even some crushed oreos.  You'll have plenty of those because the recipe only calls for a few.
You don't have to spill the beans to your guests.  Let them think you meticulously layered all of that chocolaty, creamy goodness. 
Just don't forget to take out the trash!

No comments: