Wednesday, April 28, 2010

Herbal Festival

Last weekend we went to a little herb festival in Jenks. I was hoping the weather would hold out so we could go. It was the sweetest little festival in downtown that spilled over onto Main Street. There were flowers, plants, and herbs galore. Festival foods and little knick knack stands rounded out the scene. I have a black thumb, so wandering around looking at all the beautiful plants caused me some anxiety. Luckily I stumbled upon a couple that was so helpful, they were an older couple with more herbs than I could believe. Varieties of things that I didn't even know existed. This woman looked like someone out of a storybook. She had long dark hair pulled into low pigtails. Her face was tanned and had lines that spoke loudly of her years. She was so kind to answer all of my questions about each of the plants I picked up. She never made me feel silly and even offered little tips for uses of uncommon herbs. I ended up getting 3 varieties of basil, 2 different mints, lemon verbena, anise, and rosemary. I hope all my new plants make it!

No comments: