Thursday, February 5, 2009

What Do You Do?

So Valentine's Day is just around the corner and I am curious what you do to celebrate. I love Valentine's Day (pardon the pun)! I really don't buy into the school of thought that says it has to be a totally romantic holiday and if you don't have a significant other then you should sit home and eat a half gallon of ice cream. That's crap. It's fine if you and yours go all out, but I just don't find it necessary. Valentine's Day for me is more about celebrating the fun that your relationships bring to you. Not to say I don't appreciate a romantic gesture, cause I totally do! That being said, anyone can go spend more than they should on a bauble, but I would much prefer a gift that I know had some thought put into it, one I know that was chosen just for me.

If you have kids like I do, do you celebrate with the kiddos? I love to cook dinner at home, usually some kind of sickeningly decadent pasta and a rich dessert. Food that I would normally not allow myself to make, but on V day I do and I enjoy it with reckless abandon! One must have for me on this day is a bottle of bubbly. I am not picky when it comes to the bubbly either, I just simply loves me some champagne. Even at home with the kids, a special dinner can mark the occasion. You cannot imagine what a little Cherry 7 Up in a champagne flute can do to make your kids feel like they are your special Valentine!

I am not a fan of eating out on this day. I feel like restaurants are herding people in and out like cattle. The food and service are usually lacking because they are trying to get as many people in and out as they can. Not to fault them, it's just not my thing.

What are your Valentine's traditions? Do you have any great recipes to share with me? Let me know, I would "love" to hear from you (again, with the puns!)

1 comment:

Shannon said...

Well, since we have almost 3 year old twins, we will probably do something low key. I'll have some wine and make a new recipe. Oh I have one to share with you! I made it tonight and I LOVED it. (pun)

Here is the link:

http://smittenkitchen.com/

Go to this site and scroll down about 3 recipes till you reach Crispy Black Bean Tacos with feta and slaw. (I left out feta) Yum-MY